Regular, on-time attendance contributes to the academic success of our students. In the event of an absence, students and parents should take responsibility for following this procedure:
- The parent should contact the Attendance Office the same day the student is absent. Please contact us as soon as you know your student will be absent.
- Unless the parent/guardian knows ahead of time exactly how many days the student is going to be absent, the parent should contact the Attendance Office each day of absence.
- If it is impossible for the parent to call the school, the student must submit a signed note from the parent the first day he/she returns to school.
- Students who leave campus during the school day must check out with the Attendance Office. If a student fails to check out before leaving, their absence cannot be cleared.
A student's absence shall be excused for the following reasons:
- Personal illness
- Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
- Medical, dental, optometry, or chiropractic appointment
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family, which shall be limited to one day if the service is conducted in California or three days if the service is conducted out of state. Immediate family shall be defined as mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, spouse, son/son-in-law, daughter/daughter-in-law, brother, sister, or any relative living in the student's immediate household.
- Jury duty in the manner provided by law
- The illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child to whom the student is the custodial parent
- Upon advance written request by the parent/guardian and the approval of principal or designee, justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to:
- Appearance in court, Attendance at a funeral service, Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion, attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four hours per semester, Attendance at an employment conference, Attendance at an educational conference on the legislative or judicial process offered by a nonprofit organization, Service as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Elections Code 12302
- Participation in religious exercises or receiving moral and religious instruction in accordance with district policy. In such instances, the student shall attend at least the minimum school day and the student shall be excused for this purpose on no more than four days per school month.
For legitimate absences of at least three days, arrangements can be made through the Attendance Office for homework assignments to be sent home. All work must be made up within three days. Students may request homework by e-mailing their teachers.
The following are designated as unlawful absences:
- Willful absence from school without parental knowledge and absence from school without acceptable cause with parental knowledge.
It is considered tardy if the student arrives at school between 8:30 a.m. - 8:39 a.m.
Absences, which are not cleared or excused through the Attendance Office within 10 school days, are considered cuts. Cuts are also issued if a student fails to check out with either the Health or Attendance office before leaving campus. After a student attains fourteen (14) days of medical absences, medical verification will be required.
Clearing an Absence
A note should be submitted on the day following the absence and sent to the Attendance Office before school, at break or lunch, or after school. Notes will not be accepted when classes are in session. Notes submitted in hard copy form must be legible and include the student’s first and last name, student identification number, date(s) absent, and reason(s) for the absence(s).
Students 18 and older
An 18-year-old student may write his/her own notes only if they have a permission form signed by a parent/legal guardian and the principal on file. You may request this form at the Attendance Office. Warning: Parents and 18-year-old students take care to clear all absences as stated in this section.
Permits to Leave Campus
Through Parent Square or email submit notes excusing students from class. We request that these notes be submitted at least 2 hours prior to the time the student will need to be excused. The note will be processed and you and your student will both receive a copy of the permit to leave. Your student will need to have that permit readily available to show to the teacher at the beginning of class. The teacher will also receive a copy of the permit to leave in their emails. It will not be the teacher’s responsibility to know when your student needs to leave. Your student needs to let them know at the beginning of class.
In Case of Emergency or When a Student Needs to Leave Unexpectedly
In cases of emergency or when a student was not aware they needed to leave, the Attendance Office will utilize the intercom system. We will call into the classroom and request the student by name to please come to the attendance office. They will then need to come to pick up their permit to leave from the attendance office. If receiving the permit to leave electronically is not an option
Students can come to the Attendance Office and a paper permit will be issued.
You can check your students attendance and grades through the parent portal of Aries. https://santarosacity.aeries.net/student/LoginParent.aspx