Become a Peer Counselor for the 2019-2020 school Year!
The SRHS Counseling Department is recruiting Peer Counselors for Fall semester next year. The Peer Counseling program provides peer-to-peer support for students in areas including stress management, interpersonal relationships, transition to high school, and other issues that may impact school connectedness.
Characteristics/qualities to become a peer counselor?
- 11th and/or 12th grade student
- Be mature, insightful, empathic, able to maintain privacy, and are willing to learn about difficult issues that impact their peers within the school community.
- Practice active listening by giving their complete attention to what someone is saying, and they respond without judgment.
Benefits of becoming a peer counselor?
- Increase social and professional network.
- Peer Counselors get the opportunity to develop skills that are essential in both academic and future careers.
- Experience as a peer counselor demonstrates leadership qualities to future employers. Experience with peer Counseling shows that you have some knowledge about how to guide the academic and professional development of others.
- Looks good on college Applications
Applications to become a peer counselor are due in the counseling office on May 17, 2019.
- Applications to become a peer counselor are available in the SRHS Counseling Office
- Download Peer Counseling Application
- Download Step by Step Peer Counseling Application instruction