English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC)
What is the main function of ELAC?
Each California public school with 21 or more English learners must form an English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC). The purpose of the ELAC is to advise the principal and school staff on programs and services for English Learners. The District also has a District-wide committee called DELAC. Their schedule and information can be found here.
Source: CDE ELAC webpage.
The ELAC shall be responsible for the following tasks:
- Advising the principal and staff in the development of a site plan for English learners and submitting the plan to the School Site Council for consideration of inclusion in the School Plan for Student Achievement.
- Assisting in the development of the schoolwide needs assessment.
- Ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
- Each ELAC shall have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC). Districts with 31 or more ELACs may use a system of proportional or regional representation.
Parents or guardians of English learners shall constitute at least the same percentage of the ELAC membership as their children represent of the student body.
The parents or guardians of English learners shall elect the parent members of ELAC. Parents or guardians of English learners shall be provided the opportunity to vote in the election.
ELAC Meeting Requirements
Any meeting held by the SSC shall be open to the public, and any member of the public shall be able to address the council or committee during the meeting on any item within the subject matter jurisdiction of the council or committee (EC Section 35147[c]).
Notice of the meeting shall be posted at the meeting at the school site, or other appropriate place accessible to the public, at least 72 hours before the time set for the meeting. The notice shall specify the date, time, and location of the meeting and contain an agenda describing each item of business to be discussed or acted upon (EC Section 35147[c]).
The SSC may not take any action on any item of business unless that item appeared on the posted agenda or unless the SSC members present, by unanimous vote, find that there is a need to take immediate action and that the need for action came to the attention of the SSC subsequent to the posting of the agenda (EC Section 35147[c]).
Questions or brief statements made at a meeting by members of the SSC or public that do not have a significant effect on pupils or employees in the school or school district, or that can be resolved solely by the provision of information, need not be described on an agenda as items of business. If a SSC violates the procedural meeting requirements of this section, upon demand of any person, the SSC shall reconsider the item at its next meeting, after allowing for public input on the item (EC Section 35147[c]).
Any materials provided to a SSC shall be made available to any member of the public who requests the materials pursuant to the California Public Records Act (EC Section 35147[d]).
When are the meetings?
The last Wednesday of the month from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in RM 143.
Agendas and Minutes
ELAC Agendas 2023-2024
|Thursday, August 31, 2023||Minutes|
|Thursday, September 28, 2023||Minutes|
|Wednesday, October 25, 2023 Cancelled||Minutes|
|Wednesday, November 29, 2023||Minutes|
|Wednesday, January 24, 2024||Minutes|
|Wednesday, February 28,2024||Minutes|
|Wednesday, March 27, 2024||Minutes|
|Wednesday, April 24, 2024||Minutes|
ELAC Agendas 2022-2023
- September 29, 2022
- October 25, 2022 Combined with Cash 4 College Night 6-8 PM in the MPR
- January 26, 2023 SRHS Library, not the CCC. from 6:30-7:30 pm and via zoom*
- March 30, 2023 minutes
- April 27, 2023
- May 25, 2023 Social Celebration
ELAC Agendas 2021-2022
- October 5th, 2021 Minutes
- November 2, 2021 Minutes
- December 7, 2021 Minutes
- January 25, 2022 Minutes
- March 8, 2022 Minutes
- April 26, 2022 Minutes
Parents or guardians of English learners shall constitute at least the same percentage of the ELAC membership as their children represent of the student body. Current Percentage: 7.4% 2022-2023
- Isaac Estrada, Ed. D, Assistant Principal
- Emma Zavala, Teacher - Chairperson
- Gabriella Prado, Coordinator EL Services
- Wendy Santiago, Family Engagement Facilitator
- Emma Zavala, Teacher
- Juan Trejo, Teacher
- Dino Batiliani,
- Mireya Rodriguez, Parent
- Amalia Arzol, Parent
- Ferney Herrera, Parent
- Luisa Herrera, Student
Isaac Estrada, Ed. D
Family Engagement Facilitator